Image Map

Lately...

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

I've been missing in action. I realize that. And I'm super, super sorry! My grandpa recovered, and I was no longer required to care for him but I didn't return to blogging. When it came down to it, I felt like I was spending more time blogging than actually getting out and doing things, and that's not how I wanted to be. I had read a lot of blogging tips about going back and fixing dead links and tagging old photos to make them appear in Google searches and this and that, and while that is all good advice, I felt like I never left the computer. Now I feel like I'm actually doing what I want to do, and I actually would have material for my blog, if I had even bothered to get out my camera! Sadly, all or nothing girl here.

So I shall update you quickly what I've been up to! I had come to the conclusion for the millionth time that I had way too many clothes and that I needed to stopped buying them, especially dresses, since I hardly wear them anymore. I allotted money to different things and different activities. I bought a fancy typewriter (just decoration sadly, since it was only $7 and the keys don't line up) and I also bought a vintage bike! If I end up doing some blogging in the future, it will make a fancy prop, but realistically, it's a way for me to get around. I'm still trying to master riding it, since the last time I rode a bike, I was 12 and regularly crashing into things, including parked cars and my cabin at camp.

Suzanne Amlin, City Cyclery, vintage bike, blue bike, CCM, bike with basket, local Windsor Ontario businesses, Windsor fashion bloggers

vintage typewriter, pink globe, Anywhere Travel Guide, desk inspiration photos, Royalite typewrite, royal typewrite, gray typewrite, grey typewrite, silver typewriter

I've also been trying super hard to eat better. This was a big step for me, as I ate mostly pizza before. It finally clicked that the reason I might feel sluggish and depressed a lot might have something to do with my diet. I still treat myself here and there (I had a cookie today and I had some KFC on the weekend) but overall, my diet is much healthier and comes out of boxes and packages much less. 

I also took up knitting! I was inspired by my friend, Nicole of Mercantile 519 and her rad creations. Also, I've just been getting into vintage more and more (and not just clothing, the way people lived in general) and learning to knit seemed like a natural step to take. I signed up for a beginner's class at Michael's and it went horrible to be honest. My mind could not grasp how to form a stitch, because I couldn't keep left and right straight, over and under kept messing me up and I kept confusing clockwise and counterclockwise. It really isn't that difficult now that I've gotten the hang of it but I like to make things more complicated than they are. I have no idea what this thing is going to be below, it's too narrow to be a scarf or a dish cloth, but look, it's a patch I knitted!


In an effort to not spend money on dresses, I've been spending money on hobbies, better groceries and things for my house. And also... magazines! Sometimes print magazines and sometimes digital ones if the print versions are too expensive (and I seem to love imported ones so that's often the case.) I was already in love with BUST and Vintage Life magazine but I'm newly in love with Frankie magazine, Mollie Makes and Betty magazine. I also have a library account that hooks me up with digital subscriptions to Women's Health, Martha Stewart Living, Mental Floss, Whole Living and dozens of others. I've been a very busy girl. Between reading several books on the go, I can now have dozens magazines on the go too. Huzzah!

Mollie Makes DIY magazine, Betty magazine, BUST magazine Anna Paquin cover, Vintage Life magazine issue 40, Frankie magazine, Australian fashion magazine, UK magazine, feminist magazine, imported magazines, women's magazines, DIY magazines, craft magazines, girly magazines, vintage style magazines

After reading Vintage Life and seeing all the cool vintage theme events going on the UK, I was yearning for something like that to happen in Windsor. When my mom mentioned going to a poodle skirt themed work function, I timidly asked if I could come. My mom had been shopping for an outfit on Modcloth for weeks, but I didn't get the bright idea to ask if I could accompany her until the day before. Luckily, I had items in my closet that worked just fine. I had so much fun! They even had a hula hooping contest, which was right up my alley, considering I had just bought a hula hoop a few weeks earlier. Sadly, my hoop broke 2 revolutions into the actual competition, but in my heart I know who should have rightfully won.

Suzanne Amlin, hula hooping girl, retro style, vintage style, red polka dot dress, saddle shoes, Modcloth style, Village of Aspen Lake 50s dinner
 Hoop is in the air

Bad hula hooping, Village of Aspen Lake 50s dinner
Hoop is not in the air

Afterwards, an Elvis impersonator took to the stage and then went up to ladies in the crowd and serenaded then with roses. I was a lucky recipient who received a rose, however, it was a little embarassing because I was in the midst of stuffing my face with popcorn and didn't see him come up beside me. Then suddenly people were taking my picture and I was like, "Noooooo." I don't know the lady in the orange sweater, but look how cute her reaction is. I had to post it!

Elvis Presley impersonator, Village of Aspen Lake 50s dinner, retro themed dinner, 1950s, Suzanne Amlin
Suzanne Amlin, cute girl, Betty Boop style, pin up, red lipstick, Besame, pretty, carnations, Coca Cola glass, Coke glass, retro, vintage style

That's pretty much all I've been up to! I have some other posts planned this week because several businesses have graciously sent me products to review (I was seriously stoked because I didn't think I was important enough for that to happen?) so keep an eye out for that! Until next time!

Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments :

  1. Welcome back to the blogging world! We need to get together and knit one day! And I'll give you some earrings and a ring to review on here :D
    -Nicole
    Mercantile519

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicole! I think I'm definitely going to focus more on writing about my activities once a week (and making sure I actually did something that week) and less on trying to grow my readership and things like that. While that's nice and feels rewarding, it's a lot of work and I'd rather just focus on the creative things. The other parts are too stressful and too business like - not really what I was striving for but ended up going in that direction the more blogging how to websites I read. You know what I mean?

    And reviewing products sounds fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're back!
    I really feel you on the approach to blogging. I had several months of feeling guilty when I was too busy or too tired to post, but I finally talked myself out of that. The way I see it is I run a lifestyle blog. If I'm not living that life, I'll have no content! So I'd much rather be backlogged and having fun than slaving away and stressing over numbers. Besides all that, you look adorable! The work function seemed like a lot of fun

    Have you taken up hooping? I've been thinking of getting into it but don't know where to start since all the hoop shops that were recommended to me in the past have ridiculous shipping costs to Canada

    Lastly, since you mentioned magazines, I just want to rave about Worn Fashion Journal. I think it's something you might be interested in! I love it- it's not about keeping with current trends, more about the concepts behind fashion, and they do cover vintage fashion as well. It's definitely one of my favourites.

    Cheers!
    Berlyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad there are others like me out there who sometimes feel like blogging can be a bit of a drag and just want to live life! I can't say I've really taken up "hooping." I bought a $3 hoop from Toys R Us, it's not weighted or anything. My mom has one that's a little more substantial from Target (it's weighted with water and it's much easier to keep up) and I sometimes try to do fancy tricks with that one or attempt different rhythms and dance moves, but I don't mind my cheapie plastic one because I'm way more sore afterwards.

      And I completely forgot about Worn! I have a couple issues, but they are at the bottom of my bathroom reading pile. I mostly just went through the digital magazines and magazine apps on my phone when I curated this list. Worn is definitely great, right up my alley and I love that it's made in Canada.

      Hope you are doing well Berlyn! Happy to see you around! Talk soon!

      Delete
  4. Welcome back! <3333 I hope all is well!

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there, I've just discovered your blog; I scrolled through some of your latest posts and I really enjoy them!^^
    Altough I never actually get bored of blogs and blogging, I know what you mean, sometimes you jut ned a break and have to doother things, right? I'm sure you'll get bak on trach soon. ^^

    By the way, it's a great idea, you know; spending your money of your hobbies or decoration or anything, but clothing...maybe I should try it too...:)

    ReplyDelete